Granting a legal aid certificate
Once a decision is taken to grant a legal aid certificate the certificate should be granted using EOS and the law centre notified. It is good practice, when specific terms are being attached to the grant of legal aid, to draw the law centre’s attention (via email) to those terms.
Procedure 5.2 Granting a legal aid certificate
- Click the “Submissions” button at the top of the screen in EOS (as illustrated below, not to be confused with the Submissions tab in a case).
- Choose to filter Submission “For My Decision” and click “View Submissions”.
- Find the submission you want to grant and click the Submission Identifier “SUBx” link to open it.
Review the submission as per the guidelines above.
- In the “Actions” box on the right hand side of the screen, click “Grant this Submission”.
- You are given the option to change the type of proceedings which are being authorised. Normally these should be left as is.
- If there are additional authorities (services) requested, such as a witness, you must now choose whether they should be Included or Excluded in accordance with the terms of this Circular. If you do not have authority to grant the services sought, you should Exclude them and advise the solicitor that they must make a new submission for an amended legal aid certificate to Legal Services.
- In most cases you may now simply click “Grant” and the certificate will be granted.
- The granted certificate will be generated and appear on the Documents tab in the case. You should go to the Documents tab and click the checkbox “Available to Legal Services”.