We use cookies to give you the best possible online experience. If you continue, we'll assume you are happy for your web browser to receive all cookies from our website. See our Privacy & Cookie policy statement for more information on cookies and how to manage them.

Referring a decision to a higher decision maker

The decision maker may form a view that the application should be refused or partially granted, but that they do not have the authority to do In this case the application should be referred to a higher decision maker. This is usually either the head of a unit (HEO) or Assistant Director where appropriate. In the absence of the Assistant Director, or having consulted with the Assistant Director, it may be appropriate in certain cases to refer the case to the Director of Decision Making and Support. All cases involving actions against the Board or an appeal to the Supreme Court must be referred to the Director of Decision Making and Support or the Assistant Director in their absence.