We use cookies to give you the best possible online experience. If you continue, we'll assume you are happy for your web browser to receive all cookies from our website. See our Privacy & Cookie policy statement for more information on cookies and how to manage them.

Applying for the authorisation of Counsel as an additional authority

You must indicate in the Statement of Facts whether the services of counsel are necessary. 

If the case is an application for judicial separation, divorce, or dissolution of civil partnership, you should indicate the issues in dispute, for example:

  • ownership of the family home;
  • a tenancy;
  • other property;
  • other assets;
  • child dependant maintenance;
  • adult dependant maintenance;
  • pension;
  • access; or
  • custody.

Authority to retain counsel in matrimonial cases is only likely to be granted if there are valid child welfare, property ownership, or pension issues in dispute. You can furnish additional information as to why the services of counsel are necessary in any other case.    

Where Counsel is authorised and engaged they will be paid strictly according to the fee scale contained in Part 10, Appendix B to the Board’s Terms and Conditions for the retention of Counsel.  You should be aware that any expenditure occurred on behalf of a client may be deducted from potential settlements and they should consider whether the particular service is necessary.