Customer Charter - Introduction
The Legal Aid Board provides legal advice and legal aid in civil cases to persons of modest means who satisfy the requirements of the Civil Legal Aid Act 1995. The Board also provides family mediation services and it is responsible for the administration of the Garda Station Legal Advice Scheme, the Legal Aid – Custody Issues Scheme and the Criminal Assets Bureau Legal Aid Scheme.
The Legal Aid Board’s Corporate Plan 2018 - 2020 sets out our Mission, and Vision for the organisation and the values that underpin their achievement. The standards of customer service detailed in this Charter reflect the steps necessary to implement our Mission Statement which is:
Our Mission is to enable the effective resolution of civil disputes through the delivery of efficient and accessible legal aid and family mediation services and to effectively manage and administer the State’s criminal legal aid schemes.
Our vision is:
to provide access to justice by enabling the resolution of disputes and the vindication of people’s rights in the most appropriate manner while keeping in mind the dignity of the person, the nature of the dispute and the impact of the dispute on the parties immediately involved and wider society.
What we value:
- The client, access to justice and problem solving being central to our decision making;
- High professional and ethical standards in the provision of all our services at all times delivered impartially and with professionalism and integrity;
- A focus on learning, innovation and problem solving in the delivery of services in response to an ever-changing legal and social environment;
- Effective leadership at all levels and enabling staff to make the best use of their abilities and skills;
- A culture that promotes a team ethic and respect for the human dignity of the client and that of colleagues;
- The provision of good value for money;
- Openness and transparency;
- Effective governance and accountability relationships and structures with the Department of Justice and Equality, Government and the public.
We are committed to providing you, our customer, with an excellent service. This charter sets out the standards of service you are entitled to expect from us as well as our expectations of you, our customer.