We use cookies to give you the best possible online experience. If you continue, we'll assume you are happy for your web browser to receive all cookies from our website. See our Privacy & Cookie policy statement for more information on cookies and how to manage them.

Information for children

Can I apply for legal advice/aid?

In general, applications for legal aid should be made by adults but there may be circumstances where the Board will accept an application from a child who has a sufficient level of maturity. 


What legal advice can I get if I am currently in care or if an application is made to put me into care?

The court has a duty to consider your opinions and views and if the judge in your case considers it appropriate, he can appoint a solicitor to represent you in public child law hearings. Legal Aid Board solicitors are not available to be appointed in these cases. 


Children in Mediation

The Family Mediation Service is a child-focused service putting strong emphasis on the well-being of the child/children involved in separation and Divorce.

The Mediator ensures that the "Voice of the Child" is brought into the mediation process. This can be done directly, indirectly or by way of a Family Session depending on the family circumstances. Find out more.

Contact your nearest Family Mediation Office to establish of this service is applicable to your family. 


Is there any advice for me if my parents are going through a Separation or Divorce?

You may find the following links useful as they specifically dedicated to providing advice and support to children and young people including those whose parents are separating. The Legal Aid Board does not endorse these sites or the information contained within them.

Rainbows Ireland

Teen Between


Courts Service -Going to Court Movie

Courts Service -Going to Court PDF

Childline Website

find services icon

Find Services Near Me

Find Law Centres and Mediation services near you.

Am I Eligible?

Calculate if you are likely to qualify financially for civil legal aid.