We use cookies to give you the best possible online experience. If you continue, we'll assume you are happy for your web browser to receive all cookies from our website. See our Privacy & Cookie policy statement for more information on cookies and how to manage them.

Court-based Mediation

Court-based family mediation services

An information and mediation service is available in 6 District Courts around the country at present: Dolphin House Dublin, Nenagh, Clonmel,  Limerick City, Cork City and Tralee.

How would this service help me?

If your relationship with your child’s other parent has broken down and you want to arrange how you are both going to parent in the future,  you may be planning to go to Court to seek an order for Custody / Access / Maintenance / Guardianship.

You may have other options …

Going to court is not pleasant and may increase the difficulties between you and your ex-partner. Instead of going to Court you and your child’s other parent could attend a mediation information session in one of the district court based offices and proceed to a joint mediation session.

Why try mediation?

From your child’s point of view it is important that you communicate well with your child’s other parent. This often becomes very difficult when you are involved in the court system. 

What is mediation?

Mediation gives you a chance to make your own decisions about how you are both going to parent in the future taking into account the needs of all parties.  

How does mediation work?

A Mediator will help you discuss the issues important to you both so that you can make the best decisions for your child.

What happens if we can’t reach agreement?

You still have the option of going to court to make your case before a Judge.

How much does mediation cost?

The mediation service is FREE.

How Do I find out more about mediation?

If you contact one of the court-based mediation offices you can make an appointment to attend an information session with a Mediator who will explain exactly how mediation might work for you and your child’s other parent.

If there is not a court-based service near you contact one of the other mediation offices who will be happy to provide you with further information.