We use cookies to give you the best possible online experience. If you continue, we'll assume you are happy for your web browser to receive all cookies from our website. See our Privacy & Cookie policy statement for more information on cookies and how to manage them.

Civil Legal Aid and Advice

Civil legal aid and advice gives you advice about your legal problem. We can help you try to solve your problem, and if you need to go to court, we may be able to provide you with a solicitor and/or barrister to represent you.


What is legal aid and advice?

Legal advice is where we provide advice to you on your problem. We may also write letters or conduct negotiations on your behalf in order to settle your dispute amicably. If we cannot settle your dispute and you need to go to court, legal aid provides representation in Court. We can provide legal aid in all of the civil courts, but we cannot provide legal aid in any administrative tribunal other than the International Protection Appeals Tribunal. 


What does civil legal aid and advice cover?

Civil law relates to problems which involve you and another person or organisation. Examples of civil law disputes include:

  • Family disputes – including marriage breakdown and disputes involving your children
  • Actions by the Child and Family Agency (Tusla) to take your children into care or supervise them in your home
  • Claims for damages as a result of injuries which have been caused to you 
  • Claims for damages as a result of breach of a contract
  • Property disputes (but we cannot provide legal aid for most property disputes)
  • Disputes with your employer (but we cannot provide legal aid before the Workplace Relations Commission or Labour Court)

There are some civil matters that we cannot provide legal aid in, such as defamation (formerly known as libel and slander), most property disputes and alcohol licencing applications. Even then there are some exceptions. You may wish to speak to a member of staff in our law centres if you are unsure that civil legal aid will cover your problem.

Civil legal aid and advice does not cover when you have been charged with a criminal offence. If you have been accused of committing a crime, you should speak to a solicitor in private practice or ask the judge for legal aid on the first day your case is in court.


Can I get civil legal aid and advice? 

Civil legal aid and advice is for people who cannot afford to pay a private solicitor to represent them. Your income and assets must be below certain levels before we can help. Check if you might be eligible

If you need to go to court, we will also look at the merits of your case


How do I get civil legal aid and advice

We have thirty offices, called law centres, around the country where you can apply for civil legal aid and advice. After you apply you might have to wait for an appointment. If your case is in the District Court that sits at Dolphin House, in East Essex Street, Dublin 2, you can apply for legal aid at our office there

You can download the application form and return it to any of our law centres or you can apply on-line. There is a different application form if you want to apply for civil legal aid and advice for assistance with making an application for asylum.

If you are living in another EU member state (including Northern Ireland) and want to apply for civil legal aid in Ireland, you will need to fill out the EU legal aid application form.


How much will I have to pay?

Civil legal aid and advice usually is not free. You will have to make a payment, called a contribution, when you first see a solicitor. You will have to make a further payment if we agree to represent you in Court. There are a small number of cases where there is no contribution.

Sometimes, at the end of the case, you might have to pay back the cost of your legal aid, if you gain or keep money or property as a result of your case. 


I am dissatisfied with a decision of the Legal Aid Board or the service provided

You can ask for a review or appeal of any decision we take, including a decision on whether or not you can get legal aid. 

If you are dissatisfied with the service provided by the law centre, your solicitor or your barrister, find out about making a complaint.


I am interested in doing civil legal aid work

Find out about our vacancies for solicitors, the work we give to private solicitors or about the civil legal aid panel for barristers.

Other options in family disputes 

Much of the legal aid and advice that we provide relates to family disputes. We are keen to ensure that going to court is seen as the last option and our staff will advise you of other options available such as Family Mediation.

Family Mediation

Going to court is not pleasant and may increase the difficulties between you and your ex-partner. Instead of going to Court you and your partner or your child’s other parent could try mediation. Find out more here.

The Courts Service and the Office of the Ombudsman for Children have jointly produced a video about going to the family courts. The video is aimed at parents and a separate video is aimed at children aged 13 – 15. The video can be viewed from this link


I just want information about the law

Find out information about common legal problems

find services icon

Find Services Near Me

Find Law Centres and Mediation services near you.

Am I Eligible?

Calculate if you are likely to qualify financially for civil legal aid.